5 Things You’re Doing Wrong With Their Home Security
Home security is an incredibly valuable tool for any home. Unfortunately, many people use their systems incorrectly, rendering them much less effective than they’d like. To avoid falling into these traps yourself, take the time to understand your system. If you’re in Miami, consider a consultation with ADT home security to help make sure you’re making the most out of your home security system.
1. Not turning on the system when leaving the house. It’s tempting to just run out for a few minutes without turning on the home security system. Unfortunately, you can’t predict when a break-in is going to occur, and failing to use your system means that it can’t help protect your home.
2. Not turning the system on at night. Many people believe that as long as they’re in the house, they don’t have to worry about using a home security system. Unfortunately, many break-ins and home invasions occur after dark. Turning on the home security system when you’re in the house for the night is the most practical way to ensure that your home security system is always there to protect you when you need it.
3. Using a default or easy-to-guess password. Avoid birthdays, anniversary dates, and other obvious numbers if at all possible. A random series of non-repeating numbers is usually best for your home security system.
4. Not taking full advantage of the home security system. Sure, you trust your teenager. You give them the code to the system so that they can come and go when you’re not home, especially if your teen is able to drive. If they abuse that trust, however–staying out past curfew or sneaking out of the house, for example–it might be time to remove their security system privileges.
5. Failing to check out loose connections. Do you regularly have false alarms, when the alarm will go off for no reason at all? If so, you need to check throughout the house for loose connections. Make sure that your system is protecting you so that when there’s a real emergency, you react appropriately to the alarm.
If you have a home security system from ADT Miami, you know that you’re getting the highest possible quality of security. In order to take full advantage of that, however, you have to use it! Make sure that you’re avoiding common security system failures and keep your home as secure as possible.