10 Home Security Tips to Protect Your Home
Home security is serious business, but the good news you don’t have to spend a fortune in order to help deter burglars from targeting your home:
1. It’s subzero outside and starting your car to let it warm up seems like a good idea. But that’s an easy target for car thieves. Automatic starters can start the car while still keeping the doors locked.
2. Don’t advertise that you’re going on vacation. Avoid social media updates or gossiping to local strangers.
3. Turn your home security alarm on. Many folks keep the alarm turned off when they’re home. Additionally, if you have ADT Alarm signs or stickers, place them throughout the back and front of the home.
4. A dog with a yappy bark is a great deterrent. You don’t need a ferocious Kujo. A small dog with a loud bark is enough to have a thief thinking twice.
5. Avoid keeping valuables in the master bedroom. That’s typically the first room robbers look. Consider other places like the kitchen.
6. Avoid disposing large boxes for expensive electronics out on the curb the night before trash pick-up day. This may give thieves a ‘heads up’ of valuable items inside your home.
7. Lock your doors and windows including second floor level windows and backyard doors.
8. Avoid leaving notes on your door intended for delivery services or other such recipient.
9. If you lose your keys, get the locks changed.
10. Keep all entryways well lit and neat.
The fact remains that almost any home can be burglarized, even with the best security system available. The key is to make your home as unappealing to a burglar as possible. These simple tips are a major first step that can help keep you safe.